A Global Pantry

An Adventure of Epic Proportions

This a record of my attempt to cook at least one dish from every country in the world that is recognized by the United Nations.




I live in a mid-size city in the Midwest. My town is not an urban or international center by any stretch of the imagination. We do have a large university, which brings in a significant international student population, but my ingredient resources are limited. I'm hoping to make food that uses ingredients that I can get easily (and cheaply) in my town, or on the internet. I'm not try to do crazy, exotic recipes; rather I'm hoping to take ingredients I've cooked with most of my life and re-imagine them a little bit.

Originally, one of my friends and I were going to cook through every country together, one country each week. But life happened, and the project has expanded a little bit. Now, I hope that I can use this project to connect with old friends, and hopefully make some new friends. I also want to learn more about this crazy, interesting world (especially since my life isn't conducive to travelling much at the moment), become a better cook, and improve my food photography. All of these things are a work in progress.

Feel free to join in for every country, or just a few! I'll post pictures, recipe links, and comments about what worked and what didn't work. And depending on how life is going, maybe I'll include interesting information about each country. Or maybe not.

No comments

Post a Comment